While I appreciate the contributions of the common fruit fly to the world of science, their never-ending presence in my kitchen is a different matter entirely. As much as I dislike the little !@#$s silently hovering over my fresh summer fruit, I have resisted using any kind of chemical to kill them because a) said chemical would occupy the same space as our food, and b) I have small children in the house and I’d prefer not to introduce potential carcinogens or other nasties that may cause them neuroses or reproductive harm. So this is my solution (I can’t take credit for the idea, but I can’t remember which website had the instructions):
Jam jar + APPLE CIDER vinegar + funnel-shaped paper + tape = certain death, without undesirable side effects (for the peeps in the house, anyway)
If you try this in YOUR kitchen, here are a couple of hints:
1. Make sure the hole in the bottom of the paper funnel is not too big (I usually keep it at about 1cm or slightly less). Otherwise the flies can find their way back out. Don’t forget to tape the seam in the funnel too – they are sneaky buggers and find all the little cracks.
2. The tape must cover any and all gaps between the mouth of the jar and the paper.
3. You have to remove the fruit (I just throw mine in the fridge) at the same time you put the traps out. I should probably just keep my fruit there in the first place, and I probably wouldn’t invite the flies in, but then I can’t eat it when I want to because it’s too cold and my teeth are very sensitive!
That concludes this episode of Useless Tidbits with Wendy.
1 comments:
Thank you for a tintillating (sp?-can't find my dictionary) tidbit of facinating information...and pictures too! Obviously this is a great source of frustration to you...and to anyone vexed with the little critters. I'm glad you're adding to your blog. Love ya Mom (I can never remember if I have a user name for my comments on blogs...so I'm anonymous,
Post a Comment